Molds are crucial parts of the natural environment around us. More common outdoor mold types play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as dead trees and fallen leaves. However, indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds regenerate by means of tiny spores. These spores are invisible to the naked eye and float around in the air we breathe. Mold may begin growing indoors when spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of molds, and none of them will grow without a food source (water or moisture).

Molds are usually not a problem indoors unless these spores begin growing and multiplying. Molds have the potential to cause health problems that produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).

If you are concerned with potential issues relating to mold inside your home, please contact The Inspector for testing options.